What is Ruby on Rails?
For Ruby on Rails, we will know first what is Ruby? Ruby is a general, open-source programming language for building web apps, automation, data processing, and many other uses. Its higher portability and flexibility allow it to run on any operating system.
Ruby is in the top 5 position as a highly used programming language in today’s era of digital transformation. Yukihiro ’Matz’ Matsumoto created Ruby in the mid-90s. Similar to C or Java, Ruby is also a general-purpose language, popular for its multiple benefits in web programming and or software development.
‘Ruby is worthless without its tool, called Rails.’ Now, let us get familiar with What is Rails. Rails is a software library that helps in expanding the Ruby language. It was called Ruby on Rails (RoR) by its creator, often called Rails. Technically, it is also defined as a package library called Ruby Gem.
The installation of it runs in line with the operating system command interface. Ruby on Rails is an open-source, effective web development framework. It offers Ruby developers a time-saving option for coding. It is a set of code libraries that offers ready, usable code solutions for recurring tasks like creating tables, menus, or forms on the website.
David Heinemeier Hansson developed Ruby on Rails in 2004. A project management tool to make it easy for other software developers to do web app development with Ruby. Rails’ first public release was in July 2004.
Ruby on Rails’ web development popularity is easily visible because of its rising developer adoption rate. It has achieved around 52,000 GitHub stars. It is the most extraordinary evidence of Ruby on Rails’ popularity. The dynamic kind of repository with the highest number of stars is the best sign of the popularity and suitability of the Ruby on Rails framework.
Some successful Ruby on Rails examples include GitHub, SoundCloud, Shopify, Airbnb, Fab, Hulu, Etsy, SlideShare, CrunchBase (Wikipedia for startups), and many others.
At Internet Soft, a leading software development company in California, one can check out the service for ‘hire Ruby on Rails (RoR) developers’. Our expert RoR developers are quite talented in RoR web development. One can also hire them for Ecommerce app development. For more information on our Ruby on Rails framework services, call us now!
Architecture of Ruby On Rails
Ruby on Rails architecture is just utilizing the Model-View-Controller (MVC) architectural pattern. It is a popular architectural pattern in the development world used by several web frameworks. The MVC architectural pattern insulates a web app’s program or codes into 3 coordinated components, these are:
- Model – It supports the entire data structure of the application.
- View – The View demonstrates the visual element of the web application as web page templates.
- Controller – It supports the data connection to the View and consists of the web application’s business logic.
This pattern makes Ruby on Rails architecture vital and adaptable for several types of web applications. Ruby on Rails programming is used for developing different kinds of web apps. Some other web apps which stretch frontend and backend development are also uses Ruby on Rails architecture.
Key Features of Ruby On Rails-
- Action Controllers
The classes control and maintain the View and Model data flow. Their basic responsibility is to receive requests from the clients, process them, and send back a response. Action Controllers are also responsible for processing the application’s logic, like authentication and authorization.
- Action Views
- Action Dispatch
Action Dispatch is a vital Ruby on Rails feature responsible for routing requests to the ideal Action Controller. Action Dispatch uses a routing table to guide URLs to Controllers and Actions. This enables developers to map URLs to their app’s suitable Controllers and Actions smoothly.
This Ruby on Rails feature enables developers to rapidly produce boilerplate code for their apps. Developers apply scaffolding to create the basic structure of a Ruby on Rails application, comprising Models, Views, Controllers, and database transfer. Developer’s time saving happens due to no need to write and create boilerplate coding. To make life easier, backend developers can be hired.
- Active Record
This is an Object-Relational Mapping (ORM) library. They boost developers for better database interaction utilizing Ruby classes instead of writing raw SQL. This makes it easy for developers to work with database operations and permits them to focus on the business logic of their web apps instead of getting pressured about database interaction.
Applications of Ruby on Rails –
Let us discuss what Ruby on Rails used for? here.
- FinTech Development – Ruby on Rails development helps you in removing several coding complexities in terms of payment services, insurance, transactions, and overall banking services.
- Social Networking Sites – Several web applications and social networking sites use the Ruby on Rails framework. Many Social media sites and web apps are possible to develop with the Ruby on Rails framework.
- Ecommerce App Development – Regarding Ecommerce website development, Ruby on Rails is the first option for each developer. Due to the unmatched features of the RoR framework, it has become the best choice for building reliable, efficient, and scalable eCommerce application development
The reasons for selecting Ruby On Rails by many developers are as follows:
- Secure and Rapid – The Ruby on Rails framework supports making your web app rapid and secure by providing in-built support for usual web development operations, following the MVC architectural pattern.
- Faster Web Application – Ruby on Rails (RoR) is a full-stack framework with many built-in features and functionalities. RoR provides good developer experiences, like consuming a templating engine, permitting developers to release web apps rapidly, and many more allied tasks.
- Cost-Efficient – Ruby on Rails development allows you to rapidly develop web applications with less code, and saves money and resources.
- Easy and Low Maintenance – Rails follows the Model-View-Controller (MVC) architectural pattern, which makes it simple to function, and manage code. This also helps in preventing data migration problems. Other frameworks have this issue.
- Utilize Metaprogramming – Ruby on Rails framework utilizes metaprogramming strategies, boosting you to write programs with less code and more flexibility.
- Seamless Updating – Ruby on Rails web development makes it seamless and effort-free to update(or modify) your application with the updated features and functionalities by providing a concise and consistent code structure.
From the above discussions, we can say that using the Ruby on Rails framework for web development as well as software development is becoming a very popular trend today. Ruby on Rails is among top 5 programming languages and a highly usable framework by the developers today. It has tremendous benefits and applications in the world of software development and app development.
Visit Internet Soft for the latest tech trends and insights around AI, ML, Blockchain, along with NeoBanking and timely updates from industry professionals!
Need assistance or have questions? Reach out us at [email protected].
VP for Sales & Marketing
As VP for Sales & Marketing, Akshay redefines strategies, propelling sales and marketing to excellence. Rooted in belief in tech's transformative power, his leadership desires unmatched company success. With innate strategic leadership and a deep tech passion, Akshay's path propels both personal success and the ascent of a progressive software company.